Tandjong Priok, Batavia, 4 drawings ~ c.1875
Four small drawings in pen and ink, watercolor and white gouache of “Tandjong Priok, Batavia” by the Dutch G. Folkertsma (1847-1912). Folkertsma is mostly known as a photographer. He was active in Batavia between 1875 and 1886.
Before human development, the coastal area of what is now Tanjung Priok was an area of brackish water with swamp and mangrove forest. The area was developed in the late nineteenth century as a new harbor of Batavia to replace the Sunda Kelapa harbor area to the west that had become too small for the increased traffic resulting from the opening of the Suez Canal. The construction of the new harbor was started in 1877 by Governor General Johan Wilhelm van Lansberge (1875-1881). The new harbor was named Tandjong Priok. Several facilities were built to support the function of the new harbor, such as the Tanjung Priok Station (1914).
Tanjung Priok is variously spelled in history as “Tandjong Priok”, “Tandjoeng Priok” or “Tanjon Preeq”.
Measures: Each 13,3 x 15 cm.
Condition: Very good
Price: 14,800,000 IDR.