Navigation

Antique Prints Tandjong Priok Batavia by Folkertsma (c.1875)

Return to Previous Page
Description

Product Description

Antique Prints Tandjong Priok Batavia by Folkertsma (c.1875).

Four small drawings in pen and ink, watercolor and white gouache of “Tandjong Priok, Batavia” by the Dutch G. Folkertsma (1847-1912). Folkertsma is mostly known as a photographer. He was active in Batavia between 1875 and 1886.

Before human development, the coastal area of what is now Tanjung Priok was an area of brackish water with swamp and mangrove forest. The area was developed in the late nineteenth century as a new harbor of Batavia to replace the Sunda Kelapa harbor area to the west that had become too small for the increased traffic resulting from the opening of the Suez Canal. The construction of the new harbor was started in 1877 by Governor General Johan Wilhelm van Lansberge (1875-1881). The new harbor was named Tandjong Priok. Several facilities were built to support the function of the new harbor, such as the Tanjung Priok Station (1914). Tanjung Priok is variously spelled in history as “Tandjong Priok”, “Tandjoeng Priok” or “Tanjon Preeq”.

Measures: Each 13,3 x 15 cm.
Condition: Very good

14.800.000 IDR total

825,00 Euro total
975,00 USD total

Product Enquiry

Product Enquiry

Related Products

Prambanan Temple Yogyakarta (1893)

Original 1893 photographs of the rediscovery of the Tjandi Prambanan temple, taken by the “Dutch Indies Royal Institute of Linguistics and Anthropology”. The temple was first built at the site around 850 CE by Rakai...

Prambanan Temple Yogyakarta IV (1893)

Prambanan Yogyakarta Indonesia, 1893 Original 1893 photographs of the rediscovery of the Tjandi Prambanan temple, taken by the “Dutch Indies Royal Institute of Linguistics and Anthropology” The temple was first built at the site around...

Antique Print Bamboo Forest Celebes by Lauters (c.1844) – SOLD

Antique Print Bamboo Forest Celebes titled ‘HANGENDE BAMBOEZEN BRUG.   PONT SUSPENDU DE BAMBOU’. A very fine and detailed mid-19th century lithograph by Paulus Lauters (1806-1875) of a bamboo suspension bridge hanging between magnificent forest...

Prambanan Temple Yogyakarta III (1893)

Prambanan Yogyakarta Indonesia, 1893 Original 1893 photographs of the rediscovery of the Tjandi Prambanan temple, taken by the “Dutch Indies Royal Institute of Linguistics and Anthropology” The temple was first built at the site around...

Antique Print Javanese Dancers by I. Commelin (c.1650)

Antique Print Javanese Dancers,  dancing to a xylophone made of bamboo from Isaac Commelin’s (1598-1676) Begin ende voortgangh….. (2 volumes) describing voyages made for the Dutch East India Company (VOC) and published by Jan Jansson (Jan....

Antique sea gull print c.1789

Antique sea gull print c.1789 / LARUS MINOR CIBEREUS, Mas. A magnificent mid-to late 18th century copper engraving of the sea gull, Larus minor cinereus, Mas. in old colour drawn by the famous Dutch artist...

Antique Print of Indonesian and Chinese People by Gilbert (c.1873)

Antique print of Indonesian and Chinese People titled ‘INDO – CHINE SEPTENTRIONALE / TYPES DU LAOS BIRMAN ET DU YUN – NAN’.  A late 19th century lithograph showing the finely drawn and engraved faces of men and...

Antique Print of a Chinese inhabitant of Makassar by Bayot (c.1850)

Antique Print of a Chinese inhabitant of Makassar titled ‘AOTAHI CHINOIS HABITANT MAKASSAR/(Iles Celebes)’.  A very fine mid-19th century lithograph of a traditionally dressed Chinese inhabitant of Makassar in the Celebes engraved and lithographed by...

Antique Print Male Peacock by Sepp & Nozeman (1829)

Antique print Male Peacock titled ‘PAVO CRISTATUS MAS’. The Indian peafowl or blue peafowl (Pavo cristatus), a large and brightly colored bird, is a species of peafowl native to South Asia, but introduced in many...

Prambanan Temple Yogyakarta V (1893)

Prambanan Yogyakarta indonesia, 1893 Original 1893 photographs of the rediscovery of the Tjandi Prambanan temple, taken by the “Dutch Indies Royal Institute of Linguistics and Anthropology”. The temple was first built at the site around...
Back to top