Description: Antique Print ‘De Diestpoort te Batavia – ‘T Kasteel te Batavia en het Laboratorium.’ (The Diestpoort in Batavia – The Castle of Batavia and the Laboratory.) This very scarce print shows 2 views of Batavia (Jakarta), Indonesia.
This print is taken from ‘Batavia, de Hoofdstad van Neerlands O. Indien…’, published by Petrus Conrade and Volkert van der Plaats, 1782.
Artists and Engravers: M. Sallieth after H. Kobell Jr. Mathias de Sallieth (1749-1791): Chech etcher/engraver of etchings, stipple engravings and aquatint. Publisher and artist. Born in Prague, died in Rotterdam. He worked in Vienna, Paris, Schoonderloo and Rotterdam. He was a student of J.E. Mansfeld in Vienna and Jacques Philippe Le Bas in Paris. He worked for F. Samsom.
- Date: 1782
- Technic: Copperplate engraving on verge type hand laid paper with watermark. Original folds.
- Overall size: 17,3 x 10,8 inch
- Image size: 7,9 x 7,1 inch
- Condition: Excellent; general age related toning; some light staining from handling.
- PartNumber: PCT-14625
- Storage Location: (BG) A165-13