Description: ‘Der Moren Tempel binnen de Stadt Iapare.’ (The Morish / Muslim Temple in the city of Japare, present day Jepare on Java, Indonesia.) On this view the vicinity of the Temple with Javanese and Dutch VOC merchants. This very scarse attractive original old antique print / plate / etching / engraving originates from: ‘Wouter Schoutens, Reys-Togten naar en door Oost-Indien …’ (Wouter Schoutens travels into the East Indies), 2nd. edition, published by Andries van Damme, Amsterdam, 1708.
Artists and Engravers: Wouter Schouten (1638-1704) joined the Dutch VOC as a surgeon on an adventureous expedition to the East Indies during the years 1658-1665. In 1660 he was present at the Dutch siege of Makassar (in Sulawesi) and he participated in the campaigns of Rucklof van Goens along the Malabar coast. He also visited Bengal, Arakan, Colombo, Sumatra, the Moluccas, and Ambonia. Etchings by C. Decker and J. Kip.
- Date: 1708
- Technic: Original etching and engraving combination on a verge type hand laid paper with watermark. Watermark not visible on every sheet.
- Overall size: 12,6 x 8,5 inch
- Image size: 11 x 7,5 inch
- Condition: Fine. General age related toning and occasional light staining from handling as visible on image. Original fold lines from binding.
- PartNumber: PCT-11451
- Storage Location: (BG) A87-08