Description: Antique print, titled: ‘Caart van het Eyland Manipa, Noessa-Laoet, Honimoa, Oma. Der Manipesen dracht, een Orangkaya van Manipa.’ – Four maps of islands and two figures in native dress. The islands are: Manipa, Nusa-Laut (Noessa-Laoet), Saparua (Honimoa) and Haruku (Oma). These islands are all part of the Maluku Province of Indonesia, in the Pacific Ocean. This print originates from: From the monumental work: ‘Oud en Nieuw Oost-Indiën’ by François Valentyn / Valentijn, published in 1724-1726.
Artists and Engravers: Made by an anonymous engraver after ‘Francois Valentyn’. The author François Valentijn / Valentyn (1666-1727), was a Dutch missionary, worked at Amboina from 1684 to 1694 and 1705 to 1713 and traveled extensively in VOC lands.
- Date: 1726
- Technic: Etching/engraving on hand laid (verge) paper.
- Overall size: 23,6 x 18,9 inch
- Image size: 22,4 x 17,5 inch
- Condition: Very good, given age. Original folds, as issued. Top margin cropped to the image edge, extended with contemporary paper backed with acid-free archival tape. Published as two sheets, joined (backed with acid-free archival tape). General age-related toning and/or occasional minor defects from handling. Please study scan carefully.
- PartNumber: PCT-50245
- Storage Location: (BG) TPC-P3-08