Description: Sheet: Front: ‘Carte Generale de l’Asie.’ (General map of Asia). Rear: ‘Asie.’ (Asia, scenes of Asia, nature, plants and animals, people, costume).’ This rare early lithographic print originates from: ‘Nouveau Larousse Illustre en sept volumes.’, Directeur Claude Auge, Paris, published 1897-1904, with a supplement addedin 1907. The Nouveau Larousse illustre (New Larousse Illustrated) was an illustrated French language encyclopedia published by Larousse between 1897-1904, in 7 volumes and a supplement. It was essentially a scaled-down version of the ‘Grand dictionnaire universel du XIXe siÃ¨cle.’ (Great universal dictionary of the 19th century) of Pierre Larousse, but updated and written in a more neutral, scientific style under the editorship of Claude Auge.
Artists and Engravers: Pierre Larousse (1817-1875). Claude Auge (1854-1924). Map by Rougeron Vignerot Demoulin. Scenes after Millot.
- Date: 1897
- Technic: Colour lithograph using rastering techniques.
- Overall size: 9,1 x 12 inch
- Image size: 7,9 x 10,6 inch
- Condition: Excellent. General age related toning and occasional light staining from handling. Irregular left paper edge from binding.
- PartNumber: PCT-21952
- Storage Location: (BG) A124-11