Description: Antique print, titled: ‘Die innere Aufsicht des Castells in Batavia nebst der Schloss Kirche / Vue interieure de Pallais de Batavie avec l’Eglise du Chateau.’ View of the inner courtyard of the castle at Batavia, Indonesia. This is an optical print, also called ‘vue optique’ or ‘vue d’optique’, which were made to be viewed through a Zograscope, or other devices of convex lens and mirrors, all of which produced an optical illusion of depth. Source unknown, to be determined.
Artists and Engravers: Made by ‘Francois Xavier Habermann’ after an anonymous artist. Francois Xavier Habermann (1721-1796), German engraver. Published at: Negoce comun de l’Academie Imperiale d’Empire des Arts libereaux.
- Date: 1770
- Technic: Copperplate engraving / etching with contemporary hand colouring on hand laid paper.
- Overall size: 19,5 x 14,2 inch
- Image size: 15,6 x 11,2 inch
- Condition: Fair, given age. Paper slightly browned. A few creases. Some repaired tears in the margins. Margin edges reinforced on the rear. General age-related toning and/or occasional minor defects from handling. Please study scan carefully.
- PartNumber: PCT-57962
- Storage Location: BG-B1-27