Description: Original antique map, titled ‘La Royaume de Siam avec les Royaumes qui luy sont Tributaires et les Isles de Sumatra Andemaon’. It shows: South-East Asia; Borneo, Java, Siam (Thailand), Malacca (Malaysia) and Cochinchina (Vietnam).
This original old antique print / plate originates from the fifth volume of: ‘Atlas Historique…’ (Historic Atlas…), Published by Zacharie Chatelain, Amsterdam, 1732. The atlas was published in seven volumes between 1705 and 1720, with a second edition appearing in 1732. The maps were accompanied by information pertaining to cosmography, geography, history, chronology, genealogy, topography, heraldry, and costumes of the world. The maps in the Atlas Historique were mainly based on those of the French cartographer, Guillaume De L’Isle, but were presented by the Chatelains in an encyclopaedic form. We do not know the exact edition of this map.
Artists and Engravers: Henri Abraham Chatelain (1684-1743), his father Zacharie Chatelain (d.1723) and Zacharie Junior (1690-1754), worked as a partnership publishing the Atlas Historique, Ou Nouvelle Introduction A L’Histoire under several different Chatelain imprints, depending on the Chatelain family partnerships at the time of publication.
- Date: 1732
- Technic: Original etching/engraving on a verge type handlaid paper.
- Overall size: 19,7 x 17,3 inch
- Image size: 17,1 x 15,2 inch
- Condition: Very good, given age. Original fold from binding. General age-related light toning. Tiny pinhole. Small yellow stain near top middle. Please study scan carefully.
- PartNumber: PCT-40378
- Storage Location: (BG) B31-02
- Price: 859,5 Euro / 1.000 USD / 14.650.000 IDR