Description: ‘Twee schepen voor Palimban door de Indianen bespongen en ‘t volk vermoort.’ (Dutch sailors attacked by indigeous indians at Palimban / Palembang, South-Sumatra, Indonesia in 1658. The Dutch then destroyed Palembang.)
This very scarse attractive original old antique print / plate / etching / engraving originates from: ‘Wouter Schoutens, Reys-Togten naar en door Oost-Indien …’ (Wouter Schoutens travels into the East Indies), 2nd. edition, published by Andries van Damme, Amsterdam, 1708.
Artists and Engravers: Wouter Schouten (1638-1704) joined the Dutch VOC as a surgeon on an adventureous expedition to the East Indies during the years 1658-1665. In 1660 he was present at the Dutch siege of Makassar (in Sulawesi) and he participated in the campaigns of Rucklof van Goens along the Malabar coast. He also visited Bengal, Arakan, Colombo, Sumatra, the Moluccas, and Ambonia. Etchings by C. Decker and J. Kip.
- Date: 1708
- Technic: Original etching and engraving combination on a verge type hand laid paper with watermark. Watermark not visible on every sheet.
- Overall size: 6,5 x 8,5 inch
- Image size: 5,5 x 4,1 inch
- Condition: Fine. General age related toning and occasional light staining from handling as visible on image.
- PartNumber: PCT-11421
- Storage Location: (BG) A87-02