Description: Antique print, titled: ‘Vue de la Bastion Perl de Batavia.’ – View of the Parel Bastion (Pearl Bastion) of Castle Batavia, present day Djakarta, Indonesia. This is an optical print, also called ‘vue optique’ or ‘vue d’optique’, which were made to be viewed through a Zograscope, or other devices of convex lens and mirrors, all of which produced an optical illusion of depth. Source unknown, to be determined.
Artists and Engravers: Made by ‘Francois Xavier Habermann’ after an anonymous artist. Francois Xavier Habermann (1721-1796), German engraver. Published at: Negoce comun de l’Academie Imperiale d’Empire des Arts libereaux.
- Date: 1780
- Technic: Etching and engraving. Later hand colouring on hand laid (verge) paper.
- Overall size: 18,7 x 11,9 inch
- Image size: 15,7 x 11 inch
- Condition: Very good, given age. Print has been in matting, some discolouring on print. General age-related toning and/or occasional minor defects from handling. Please study scan carefully.
- PartNumber: PCT-50553
- Storage Location: (BG) B16-04