Description: Antique print, titled: ‘A Large Draught of the East End of Java and Madura showing the Streights of Bally.’ – Rare early example of this working English Sea Chart of part of Indondesia with Java, Madura, and the Straights of Bali, Indonesia. Source unknown, to be determined.
Artists and Engravers: Made by an anonymous engraver after ‘Samuel Thornton’. In 1671, the London cartographer John Seller (fl.1664-97) commenced work on The English Pilot , a work that intended to challenge Dutch hegemony in the sea atlas market. Intended to be published in four books covering different regions of the globe, Seller published an uncompleted book on ‘Oriental navigation’ in 1675. Unable to continue this Herculean endeavour, Seller sold his rights to John Thornton, the official hydrographer to the English East India Company. Thornton took up the project with great fervour, publishing his first editions in 1689. Thornton did not publish his first edition of the Third Book, detailing navigation in the East Indies, until 1703. While Thornton largely based his charts on those of earlier Dutch cartographers, most notably those found in Pieter Goos’ Zee-Spiegel and Lucas Janz Waghenaer’s Mariner’s Mirror, The English Pilot proved to be enormously popular. When John Thornton died in 1708, his brother Samuel took over the business and added to and modified existing charts. All four books were produced in editions until the 1760s. The Third Book ran into twelve editions up to 1761. The project succeeded in giving the English dominance in the sea chart market as the eighteenth-century progressed.
- Date: 1711
- Technic: Copperplate engraving / etching on hand laid paper.
- Overall size: 21,8 x 17,7 inch
- Image size: 20,8 x 17 inch
- Condition: Good, given age. Top edge irregular as issued. Paper with some discolouration at places. A tiny double worm holes left and right of the lower edge of the middle fold, just inside the image area. Original folds as issued. General age-related toning and/or occasional minor defects from handling. Please study scan carefully.
- PartNumber: PCT-58065
- Storage Location: BG-B5-39