Description: Antique print, titled: ‘Prospect von der Bastion Perl langst der Courtine des Castells Batavia / Vue de la Bastion Perl de Batavie.’ View of the Parel Bastion (Pearl Bastion) of Castle Batavia, present day Djakarta, Indonesia. This is an optical print, also called ‘vue optique’ or ‘vue d’optique’, which were made to be viewed through a Zograscope, or other devices of convex lens and mirrors, all of which produced an optical illusion of depth. Source unknown, to be determined.
Artists and Engravers: Made by ‘Francois Xavier Habermann’ after an anonymous artist. Francois Xavier Habermann (1721-1796), German engraver. Published at: Negoce comun de l’Academie Imperiale d’Empire des Arts libereaux.
- Date: 1770
- Technic: Copperplate engraving / etching with contemporary hand colouring on hand laid paper.
- Overall size: 18,7 x 14,6 inch
- Image size: 15,6 x 11,2 inch
- Condition: Good, given age. A few spots and damp stains (mainly in the margins). A few soft creases. Margin edges reinforced on the rear. General age-related toning and/or occasional minor defects from handling. Please study scan carefully.
- PartNumber: PCT-57963
- Storage Location: BG-B1-28